Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Dragoncon Episode IV :A New Hope


               
               Labor Day has always been a time to take a Monday off and relax, but for thousands of steampunkers, storm troopers and trekkies Labor day is like second Christmas.  Since 1987 Dragon Con has transformed a slice of Atlanta into a hub for science fiction and fantasy fans. Cosplayers spend hours crafting their costumes in the image of their favorite characters and drive from across the US to congregate with likeminded comic readers and basement dwellers.
                This year marks my first trip to the con and the excitement has been bubbling inside for weeks. Dragon Con has so much to offer for the countless nerd niches that exist, so being a Doctor who fan that loves League of Legends and Magic the Gathering means that I will be right at home. Sadly my plans to cosplay as the engineer from Team Fortress Two fell apart, but I refuse to be defeated. I will proudly march through the convention halls donning my Finn hat and Captain America shield as an outward display of my chimeric fandom. My roommate Lawson will be dressed as Han Solo,  Mal Reynolds, and maybe even a little bit of Angel.
                This year and hopefully every subsequent trip to dragon con, I want to chronicle my adventures in their entirety. I will be tweeting literally everything that happens this weekend (@GrizzlyIngrams) and hopefully blogging at the end of each night. The blogs may come late depending on when we leave the con’s notoriously crazy parties. Now some of you may say, “A bunch of socially inept, possibly overweight nerds could never have a crazy party!” but think, when you dressed up as your favorite super hero as a kid didn’t you feel indestructible? Didn’t you feel the confidence and power of Batman or the Red Ranger coursing through you? Now imagine if you could fill a room with people who were surging with not only that confidence, but also hormones and alcohol. The results, although sometimes gross, can be magical. That my friends is the glory of the con, a glory I am super excited to be a part of!
                So if you’re going, I’ll see you there. If not, I’ll do my best to paint the picture for you. I must now mentally prepare myself to see Levar Burton, you can’t disappoint a picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment